Fender painting, and Control Arms, II



I’ve got a cold, so I’m mostly trying to distract myself from it.  The main task I want to accomplish is finish painting the control arms, and the wheel wells.  Not a giant job, but it takes a fair amount of time masking, painting, waiting for it to dry, recoating, etc.

To that end, I masked off the holes from the front wells into the engine compartment.  I’m eventually going to paint the engine compartment, so I don’t really care about it.  But, I don’t want to get paint on some of the things inside the compartment.  Then I masked off each of the wells to protect the subframe, brake caliper, engine block, etc.

Here is the front after two coats.P1010011P1010012P1010019


And the rear.


All the control arms (all 8).  The drying rack is made of 6 aluminum bar clamps acting as uprights, holding two pipe clamps as the cross-bars.  Lots of wire hangers from the dry-cleaners acting as the hooks.  This rack makes it 1000 times simpler to paint all sides of the control arms.  I’ve seen pix of other folks laying the control arms on cardboard, painting, flipping, etc.  I can’t imagine.  That would take all the fun out of a cool little job.  What’s more fun than the results gained from $10 worth of spray paint?  Why make it painful?


I finally got around to zip-tying the radiator protection…a mesh style window net.  I had to make “chains” of zip ties to get them to reach.  I don’t know how other’s do it, but this is what I came up with.  I might go back and double these up, to ensure that it doesn’t escape if the nylon breaks.

All in all a decent weekend, considering the onset of the cold.  I hate colds.  I hate being sick.  I’m not good at it.


Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Connect with Facebook




This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.